Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Potters Field

potter's field or common grave is a term for a place for the burial of unknown or indigent people. The expression derives from the Bible, referring to a field used for the extraction of potter's clay; such land, useless for agriculture, could be used as a burial site.

Today was good. A little mix of local history with a sprinkling of art for the masses. Be it art created from the memorials of the dead masses, but all of it a celebration of life. 
Just as I had predicted my mother got a little moody and my daughter, more antsy than angry but both indulged my fascination with these ancient tablets of marble and rock. It was fabulous! 
We walked up and down the aisles of graves, following volunteer actors recite facts and dates, marriages, farms and finally deaths of many of the pioneer residents resting in peace right there below our very feet. 
After the "turn back time" tour they handed out rolls of paper and crayons for us to wander around with and play in the cemetery! My kiddo even got involved and made two of the four tombstone rubbings that we came home with. 
I see these pieces as an interesting start to something larger. Possibly an altered art piece or collage. 


I want to come back to this place sometime soon and check out the areas that I feel I didn't spend enough time looking at. I loved the age of the area, the space, the light. I want to come and take more pictures. Something more to round out this art piece. 
The oldest section, the north end of this cemetery was first started as a potters field. I want to explore back there. Pick up vibrations and inspiration. 
Who knows, the entire feel of this piece could change. Whatever happens I know that today was totally worth it. It was something I've not tried before and I met a few cool people along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment